US Capitol on lockdown, two dead after vehicle rams into cops

Two US Capitol police officers injured after suspect rams car into barrier

The suspect drove a vehicle into the officers, got out of the auto and lunged at them, with a knife in his hand, Yogananda Pittman, acting chief of the United States Capitol Police, told a news conference. "All three have been transported to the hospital", their statement said.

"Praying for the United States Capitol Police officers who were attacked at the Capitol", tweeted Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Alerts sent out by police said that people in the Capitol were not allowed to exit the building while the police were responding to the incident, in which the driver got out of the vehicle while appearing to brandish a knife before being shot by authorities.

Federal and local law enforcement sources told CNN that the suspect has been identified as Noah Green.

The crash and shooting happened at a security checkpoint near the Capitol as Congress was on recess.

Pittman says the suspect rammed a barricade near the U.S. Capitol.

At the moment, details about Friday's incident remain scarce though police officials said it does not appear to be terrorism-related.

While there was no immediate connection apparent between January 6 and Friday's crash, the incident underscores that the building and campus remain potential targets for violence. All three people involved, the two officers and the driver, were taken to the hospital. Fencing that prevented vehicular traffic near that area was recently removed as the Capitol has started to open up after the January 6 riots.

Capitol Police said that someone rammed a vehicle into two of its officers.

Earlier, a message played over the loudspeakers inside the Capitol said that all buildings were being locked down "due to an external security threat" and staff members were told they could not enter or exit the buildings.

The security checkpoint is typically used by senators and staff on weekdays.

At the time Trump's supporters shouted slogans including "Stop the Steal" and "Hang Mike Pence" as they attacked the Capitol and said they hoped to stop the election certification.

Video from reporters at the scene posted on Twitter appeared to show a vehicle that had crashed into a barrier. Law enforcement and paramedics could be seen caring for at least one unidentified individual.

President Biden had just departed the White House for Camp David when the incident occurred.

Shortly after the lockdown, D.C. National Guard troops assigned to the Capitol were ordered to report to the unit's armory if they were not already at the Capitol complex, according to correspondence obtained by POLITICO.



Other news