Funerals to be held for protesters killed by Myanmar's military junta

Kyaw Min Tun 41 was killed on March 16 after police opened fire on protesters in a bid to rescue a suspected informant

The State Sahgha Maha Nayaka Committee, a government-appointed body on monks, condemns the military's use of excessive force against the protestors, saying its members could halt activities in protest of the military regime, local media reported.


Sixteen people were killed in other places, rights group Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) said, as well as one policeman, making it the bloodiest day since the coup.

Myanmar's generals also imposed martial law on nine more townships in the cities of Yangon and Mandalay on Monday, a day after security forces shot dozens of protesters demanding the restoration of the elected civilian government.

A total mobile internet shutdown made it hard to verify information and very few people in Myanmar have access to WiFi. UN Secretary-General António Guterres called for imprisoned protesters to be released and called on the worldwide community to "make sure the coup fails".

Myanmar's military is increasing pressure on a group formed by lawmakers from Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy.

A total of 183 people have been killed by security forces in the weeks of protests against the coup and the casualties were rising drastically, the AAPP said. Five of these deaths have been people in custody. There was no report of violence.

Residents flash the lights from their mobile phones during an anti-coup rally held despite an overnight curfew in Yangon on 15 March.

The embassy said it is in touch with the China Enterprises Chamber of Commerce in Myanmar and has asked high-level officials in Myanmar to take measures to ensure the safety of Chinese personnel and enterprises in Myanmar, since martial law has quelled the situation to some degree.

"We had to flee. because they (security forces) threatened if we didn't leave the body they would shoot us", the worker said by telephone, asking not be identified.

More conventional peaceful protests of the sort that have been occurring daily were held without incident on Tuesday in Monywa and Ye-U in central Myanmar, the city of Loikaw in the eastern state of Kayaw, and Kalaw in Southern Shan state, also in the east.

The martial law announcement said military commanders in Yangon would take over administration of districts and courts, MRTV said. It has promised to hold a new election, but has not set a date.

Many people in Myanmar believe Beijing is backing the military. That has now been derailed.

Ms Suu Kyi, 75, has been detained since the coup and faces charges such as illegally importing walkie-talkie radios and infringing coronavirus protocols. Last week, the junta accused her of accepting illegal payments but she has not yet been charged with that.

Western countries have called for Ms Suu Kyi's release and condemned the violence while Asian neighbours have offered to help resolve the crisis, but Myanmar has a long record of rejecting outside intervention.

Anti-Chinese sentiment has risen since the coup, with opponents of the army takeover noting Beijing's muted criticism compared with Western condemnation.

Several more factories were set ablaze in an industrial zone in Yangon's Hlaing Tharyar on Tuesday afternoon, where over 20 factories were vandalized or set on fire on Sunday.

"We strongly urge Myanmar side to stop this kind of crimes, punish the perpetrators and compensate Chinese factories for the losses", the editorial read, adding that "The violent attacks were apparently well organized and planned".

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian responded to Sunday's attack on the factories during a regular news briefing Monday.



Other news