India says it will take action against Pakistan

Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla | Twitter | @HCI_London

According to Indian officials the four were members of the Jaish-e-Mohammad group and crossed from Pakistan in a one metre-wide tunnel that was discovered at the weekend two days after the highway shootout in Jammu district.

Four suspected JeM terrorists, who were hiding in a truck, were killed by security forces near Nagrota in an encounter on Thursday morning after which the government asserted that a major terror attack was foiled by the Indian security forces.

Sources said the envoys were handed over information dockets and the briefing was done in-person by the foreign secretary, albeit in smaller groups due to Covid-19 protocols.

"Preliminary investigations by the police and intelligence authorities, markings on the recovered AK-47 rifles and other items lead us to believe that the terrorists belonged to the Pakistan-based Jaish-e- Mohammad", the sources said. In fact, investigators have found terrorists got into India through an underground tunnel in the Samba sector.

Zahid Chaudhari further said that the Indian side was also urged to desist from the use of its usual diversionary tactics and instead take practical steps to implement the United Nations Security Council resolutions on the Jammu and Kashmir dispute granting the Kashmiris the inalienable right to self-determination through a free and impartial plebiscite under the auspices of the United Nations.

On Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval and other top officials to review the situation after the Nagrota attack.

"In terms of the bigger picture, it was clear that the terrorists were planning the biggest terror attack in India since Pulwama in February 2019 and the implications can be guessed".

India on Monday told the main UN Security Council powers that it feels pressure to hit back at Pakistan after accusing its neighbour of arming four militants shot dead in a gun battle last week, diplomats who attended a special meeting said.

Aftab Hassan Khan, chargé d'affaires at the Pakistan high commission was summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs.

The Foreign Office spokesperson, in a statement, said it was evident that India had stepped up anti-Pakistan propaganda, following presentation of the dossier by Pakistan providing irrefutable evidence of India's state-sponsorship of terrorism.

But the news media is in a crisis of its own.

Related:

Comments


Other news