Angry Officials: State's Lockdown Was Based on a Lie

Enlarge this image

South Australia state that includes the city of Adelaide is in a six-day lockdown schools, universities, bars and cafes closed from Thursday and only one person from each household will be allowed to leave home each day, and only for specific reasons.

"One of the close contacts linked to the Woodville Pizza Bar deliberately misled our contact tracing team. we now know that they lied", state premier Steve Marshall said in a press conference.

Tens of thousands of tests have shown no new community transmission in South Australia [Brenton Edwards/AFP] People in Adelaide, the state capital, and the rest of South Australia, will be able to leave their homes immediately for exercise, and most other restrictions will be eased late on Saturday.

Stevens would not be drawn on the man's motivation for misleading contact tracers.

He added: "These selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very hard situation".

"His actions have affected businesses, individuals, family groups and it is completely and utterly unacceptable".

"The Emergency Management Act requires people to provide information on request".

"If this person had been honest with the contact tracing teams, we would not have gone into a six-day lockdown".

Nevertheless, the Parafield cluster continued to grow on Friday, with three new cases taking it to 25 confirmed infections.

A worker at the Woodville Pizza Bar told contact tracers he was a customer, which sparked a six-day state shutdown.

South Australia will be ending their lockdown early, starting from midnight Saturday.

Religious ceremonies will be restricted to 100 people and 10 people can come together for private gatherings.

Schools will reopen on Monday and funerals and private gathering will be allowed to go ahead with 50 people. The residents are also not allowed to step out for their daily exercises or for even walking their pets.

Masks will be mandatory for personal-care providers such as hairdressers and beauty therapists (and encouraged for clients).

The state reported three new cases on Friday, all of which are connected to the cluster and all of the people infected are in quarantine.

As of Friday afternoon there had been 27,789 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia, and the number of new cases in last 24 hours was five, according to the latest figures from Department of Health.

The spokeswoman said the government will release further details about the "reset" program and its response to the interim report of the inquiry "soon".

Related:

Comments


Other news