Risk of COVID-19 community transmission 'basically eliminated': Chinese mayor

City in China claims no new COVID-19 cases after testing millions

The Chinese city of Qingdao yesterday said it had suspended its health commission head and sacked a hospital director following an outbreak of coronavirus infections that ended China's run of about two months without reporting a local case.

In Eastern China, the coastal city Qingdao claims it found no new coronavirus cases after testing millions of people.

It reported 13 new infections this week, most linked to the Qingdao Chest Hospital, where infected travellers arriving from overseas had been treated in an isolation area.

The workers had check-ups in an examination room at the Qingdao Chest Hospital, and the room was contaminated due to insufficient disinfection and protection measures, a Qingdao health official told a media briefing.

Medical staff wait to collect swab samples from residents for COVID-19 test in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, Oct. 14, 2020.

Nearly 10 million residents in Qingdao have now been screened for the coronavirus, officials said yesterday.

On Thursday morning, only one independent positive case of the disease was reported: a 40-year-old port worker who was asymptomatic.

Some 34 hotels have been opened for medical observation for people who entered the capital after September 3, when the city resumed some worldwide flights.

Of the new imported cases, 11 were reported in Shanghai, five in Inner Mongolia, two in Tianjin, Jiangsu and Guangdong each, and one in Fujian and Chongqing each, according to the commission.

The Chinese port city of Qingdao is under soft lockdown after a cluster of 13 COVID-19 cases was discovered last weekend.

Related:

Comments


Other news