Why the acceleration in new COVID-19 cases in Canada is concerning

'You are hurting people': New COVID-19 cases reported in Halton region and they include more young people

One death is also being reported.

Last week, Ontario Premier Doug Ford said in a press briefing that local medical officers should consider re-imposing coronavirus restrictions if needed.

Despite being prepared, a second wave would be "more complicated and hard to deal with", said Elliott due to the incoming flu season and reduced hospital capacity as staff have to also tend to former long-term care home residents and a backlog of surgeries postponed earlier this summer due to the first wave.

Ontario as a whole reported 313 cases on Monday, the highest daily count of infections reported since early June.

15 PHUs in the province have no new cases.

Elliott said the province is not in a second wave yet but warned a fall surge could be worse than the first given complications such as flu season.

Toronto reported 73 cases on Tuesday, down from 112 on Monday, while Peel reported 42, down from 71 on Monday.

According to the Hastings-Prince Edward Public Health dashboard, five people have died from COVID-19 to date in the region. He said if Ontario was forced into another shutdown he would look at rolling back parts of the province on a region-by-region basis.

"We're watching not just the numbers but the speed of ramp up and how widespread the cases are", Tam said in an interview with CBC Radio's The Current. Some officials have issued warnings that Ontario will have to return to lockdown if stronger measures aren't taken to prevent the virus from spreading.

Michael Garron Hospital - formerly Toronto East General Hospital - reported an increasing volume of patients just before the long weekend in August and more consistently since the beginning of September.

"Yes, this is concerning".

He said that parents concerned about the possibility of major spread of the virus in schools needs to understand that the measures put in place in school will make a difference.

"We're still in a good spot, we still have time", Chakrabarti said.

He said Ontarians must continue to wash their hands frequently, practice physical distancing, wear face masks when required, stay home when sick, and neither host nor attend unsafe gatherings or parties. "We are looking at all that right now and we will have an answer in the next few days". "Ultimately, skipping a dinner party or a wedding that isn't safe is a very small sacrifice to make to protect our loved ones and people who are particularly vulnerable to the threat of COVID-19", Dale said.

Related:

Comments


Other news