Police officer suspended over head-stomp arrest of Melbourne man

Protesters lie down for a minute of silence in the position George Floyd was in when he died during a rally against police brutality and the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd in Seattle Washington

An Australian policeman has been suspended over the arrest of a man who was allegedly hit by a police vehicle and then kicked in the head by an officer.

Glenn Atkins told 3AW his son lives with bipolar disorder, and attempted to seek treatment at Epping's Northern Hospital before his arrest.

Victoria Police said an internal unit was investigating. Melbourne is coronavirus hotspot.

The protests came after 14 people were arrested at small dispersed rallies on Saturday and as Victoria is set to ease its lockdown restrictions very slightly as of Monday, as the number of new daily coronavirus cases continued to fall in the country's hotspot.

The senior constable was suspended after footage shared on social media showed him appearing to kick Timothy Atkins' head while he was on the ground at Epping on Sunday.

Another officer then appears to strike him in the head with a knee as the man is restrained.

Footage broadcast by the Seven News TV channel shows the man walking in the middle of the road, waving his arms in front of a police auto.

"Tomorrow the police will be on the back foot, and we'll be able to rise".

The man is restrained by six officers, including one who appeared to stomp on his head.

Police surround elderly women in Melbourne: Footage has emerged showing five police officers surrounding two elderly women in Melbourne.

"It is like watching a video from America or Beirut", Atkins father told the Herald Sun, adding that his son has severe mental illness but does not have a history of violence.

They were greeted by a large police force and clashes with the riot police broke out in the alleys of the market.

Authorities will block essential arterial streets in Melbourne together with checkpoints since they attempt to prevent people going into the city to protest, even while the authorities will also keep a solid presence around essential landmarks like the Shrine of Remembrance.

The Age reports the family intends to launch legal action against Victoria Police.

"During the highly dynamic incident a police officer was assaulted and OC spray was deployed before the 32-year-old man, of no fixed address, was arrested and subsequently taken to hospital for assessment", a spokesperson for Victoria police said, adding that Atkins "damaged a police auto".

"Professional Standards Command continue to investigate the matter and are now assessing all available information", the spokeswoman said.

Ms Neville said the officers were in "difficult circumstances", but added there were "concerning aspects of the arrest, particularly at the end". Some incidents have sparked public anger.

The arrest has been widely criticised online after garnering thousands of views.



Other news