Queensland is Closing Its Borders to People From Greater Sydney

Brisbane Local Marketing on Unsplash

"Officers from Taskforce Sierra Linnet reviewed a Queensland Border Declaration of a 51-year-old woman who declared that she was travelling from Victoria for essential work purposes", a QPS media release stated.

The aged care worker's husband is believed to have caught the virus from relatives who visited the Madtongsan IV Korean restaurant at Sunnybank on July 23, when one of the women was there.

Olivia Winnie Muranga and Diana Lasu both tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday night and Wednesday respectively, after returning to Queensland from a trip to Sydney and Melbourne nearly one week before.

Police attended a Gympie address this morning at 11am and spoke with the woman and further investigations revealed that her goal of travel was untrue.

Authorities are bracing for a south-side cluster as contact tracers continue to chart the paths of Muranga and Lasu through Logan and Brisbane while showing signs of the highly-infectious virus.

She is now working with authorities to determine all the locations she has been to while infectious.

Health Minister Steven Miles said the new case underscores the importance of people giving accurate contact details.

"They had chosen themselves to go into quarantine in their home.so that was an excellent response from those people", she said.

Mr Miles said the government had "spent tens of millions of taxpayer dollars" on hotel quarantine and had offered people "a long time to get back home" before the self-funded quarantine began.

"It is incredibly important now more than ever if you are feeling sick you must go and get tested".

The resident will be quarantined for a fortnight and monitored, she said.

"They've appeared to have lied to get around that and I don't' think the charges are necessarily the reason for that".

Police, however, admit they are not manning every single entry point into Queensland around the clock, with Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski saying "they are not staffed 24/7 necessarily way out in the remote parts".

At the time, Tweed Byron police warned travellers to pack snacks and enough water amid frustrating wait times.

Mr Miles assured locals "there's no need to panic", if they had visited a place that any of the confirmed cases had visited.

"The stores have each undergone five deep cleans using disinfectants since Monday as well as the routine cleaning that occurs throughout each day", Ms Poole said.

"We are yet to confirm Virgin Australia operations to Sydney".



Other news