Nadal withdraws from US Open: 'I have chose to follow my heart'

Nadal withdraws from US Open: 'I have chose to follow my heart'

And now 19-time Grand Slam champion Nadal has announced he will not be taking part in the US Open citing coronavirus concerns.

Nadal believes this year's US Open champion will still feel like a Grand Slam victor despite the tournament losing some glamour due to the withdrawal of top players.

World No.9 Serena Williams, a six-time US Open and 23-time Grand Slam champion, will also play the major event. "I trust it will yes, it is in my mind and I am preparing for it", said the 34-year-old in a briefing with worldwide media on Wednesday (Thursday Philippine time).

2 won his fourth US Open title past year when he beat Daniil Medvedev in the final.

Heading into the US Open, the youngster is also scheduled to play in the Prague Open - an ATP Challenger 125 event - next week. Instead, his decision has cleared the path for 33-year-old Novak Djokovic to edge to within one of Nadal's Grand Slam tally with a fourth title at Flushing Meadows and 18 in total.

In women's part, nine of the top 10 will feature the initial singles entry list.

In a rematch of the previous year's final against Thiem, Nadal prevailed in four sets to claim his record-extending twelfth French Open title.

Women's world number one, Ashleigh Barty and Compatriot, Nick Kryios also pulled out last week, anxious about significant risks due to COVID-19.

It will be crucial to see how the upcoming US Open plays out despite the ever-evolving times.

Nagal is the only Indian in the men's field with Prajnesh Gunneswaran, ranked 132 in the world, missing out.

"Rafa is one of the greatest champions in our sport and we support his decision", US Open tournament director Stacey Allaster said on Tuesday. The youngster won three qualifier matches to make it into the main event of his maiden Grand Slam.

"In my mind, I am preparing for it", Nadal said by way of The Guardian.

But following Nadal's announcement he broke his silence on the controversial exhibition event Novak Djokovic hosted, which resulted in the World No.1, Dimitrov, Coric and Viktor Troicki all testing positive for the coronavirus, as did the wives of Djokovic and Troicki following the event.

Related:

Comments


Other news