South America 'a new epicentre' of COVID-19

WHO leader refuses to be invested until 'several conditions' are met

Giroir alluded to a resolution passed Tuesday by the WHO's assembly calling on Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to launch a "comprehensive evaluation" of the WHO-coordinated global response to the outbreak "at the earliest appropriate moment".

President Trump has threatened to withdraw the US from the group and permanently cut off all funding to the agency.

World Health Organization head, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus had already agreed to a review of the agency's handling of the pandemic, while dismissing suggestions it needed a far-reaching overhaul. "All this is absolutely crucial for us going forward to avoid another pandemic of this kind", she said.

"In a sense, South America has become a new epicentre for the disease". Nearly five million cases and 325,000 deaths have been registered since the pandemic originated in China five months ago. Keva Bain, The Bahamas' permanent representative to the UN, who presided over the 73rd World Health Assembly, proposed that the issue be kept for later in the year, as opposed to during the two-day summit, something she said the nations consented to.

More than 325,000 people have lost their lives, according to the AFP tally.

The European Union (EU), supported by the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand presented the resolution calling for an "impartial, independent and comprehensive evaluation" of the global response, asking for focus on the WHO's "timelines pertaining to the Covid-19 pandemic" after charges that it was late to declare a health emergency.

Reporters showered him with questions over the letter, but Tedros did not elaborate.

Nonetheless, the USA approved of the resolution's final draft, which included language pointing to the "leadership" of the World Health Organization in coordinating a global response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

"We would do this at the earliest possible time and this means when all the conditions are met so we will consider several conditions but we want to do it at the earliest possible time".

US President Donald Trump on Monday made the surprise announcement that he is taking hydroxychloroquine, despite his own government experts saying it is not suitable for fighting coronavirus.

Brazil's health ministry has recommended using the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat even mild cases of COVID-19 - treatments President Jair Bolsonaro has pushed for despite the lack of conclusive evidence of their effectiveness. Some 3,000 patients are taking part in the trials in 320 hospitals across 17 countries.

Related:

Comments


Other news