Third inmate dies from COVID-19 at Oakdale federal prison

The lockdown will stay in effect for 14 days the Bureau of Prisons said

"This positive and prompt assurances from the Federal Bureau of Prisons that the residents at Hope Village are being taken care of in a safe manner, with everything they need, is reassuring to families and to D.C. residents", Norton said.

Keller told "American Agenda" that despite the stay-at-home order in many states, "the Bureau of Prisons is still moving inmates between locations, and sometimes across the country, and we just think that it's within their... authority to stop this". New Orleans Public Radio learned of the death from staff at the facility.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons has instituted a 14-day lockdown for all its institutions, including ones in Alabama, to stem the spread of COVID-19.

The second patient to die, Nicholas Rodriquez, 43, became ill on March 25 and had a high temperature and a rapid heartbeat, BOP officials said. Rodriquez was placed on a ventilator on March 27, after his condition deteriorated. Taylor had long-term, pre-existing medical conditions listed by the Center of Disease Control as risk factors for developing severe COVID-19, and he was tested at the hospital for the virus, but test results were pending at the time of his death, officials reported.

Taylor was serving a 5-year sentence for a cocaine conspiracy conviction and had been at the Elkton prison since April 29, 2019.

At the direction of Attorney General William Barr, the Bureau of Prisons has also been taking steps to begin releasing especially vulnerable inmate populations who are nonviolent and eligible for home confinement programs. While at the local hospital, Mr. Townsend tested positive for COVID-19.

As of Wednesday, there were nine inmates who had tested positive for the coronavirus and 10 staff members who had come down with the highly contagious COVID-19 respiratory illness, said Ronald Morris, president of American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Local 1007.

Late Thursday the hospital clarified that it is treating two patients who have tested positive for COVID-19.

A spokesperson for the bureau told the news outlet that the move is intended "to conserve valuable testing resources", and added that the bureau had no plans to release nationwide testing figures.

Related:

Comments


Other news