Coronavirus patient took an Uber to London hospital


She is being treated in a London hospital.

The first and only confirmed Covid-19 coronavirus patient in London was diagnosed this week.

"As a precautionary measure they chose to seek medical advice and, in line with the latest public health advice regarding the coronavirus, they were taken to hospital for a precautionary test".

Two staff from Lewisham Hospital in south London are now in isolation at home after coming into contact with the woman.

As a result of her walking straight into the A&E, rather than going to the ambulance bay to be met by trained doctors and nurses in hazmat suits, some staff may have been been exposed to a risk of infection.

He said crew took a passenger to the back of the aircraft without wearing protective gear or face masks and waited for health officials. Patients with thought coronavirus have actually swabs taken of their nose as well as throat which are sent out to among 12 laboratories throughout the UK.

Professor Paul Hunter, of the University of East Anglia's (UEA) Norwich Medical School, who has previously run tests on the impact of fake news on disease outbreaks, said: "Misinformation means that bad advice can circulate very quickly - and it can change human behaviour to take greater risks".

A patient had threatened to abscond from the isolation unit earlier this week - prompting the government to unveil new powers that would allow people to be forcibly quarantined if they pose a threat to public health.

'If this is low, then the risk of sustained human-to-human transmission is also low'.

"We have dedicated an online portal for public health authorities to contact Uber for information about riders and drivers, and we will take action on any user accounts on the recommendation of those authorities".

Elsewhere, two GP surgeries have been closed after patients with suspicious symptoms turned up unannounced.

An alert on the Ritchie Street Health Centre website says: "Practice is closed until 14/02/2020 due to the coronavirus".

NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said yesterday that many more people in the United Kingdom may need to self-isolate to contain the illness, which has been officially named Covid-19. But staff there also said it was unclear why, despite apparent contact with NHS 111, she still came in by taxi, given that the NHS telephone advice line would have called her an ambulance or advised her to go in a private vehicle.

Around 250 delegates who attended a transport conference at London's QEII Centre have been contacted by health officials after it emerged one of the attendees has subsequently been diagnosed with coronavirus.

A total of 1,750 people have tested negative for the virus in the UK.

NHS chief executive, Sir Simon Stevens, said: "As our first group of guests leaves Arrowe Park Hospital, we want to thank them for the highly responsible, pragmatic and stoical way they have played their part in keeping both themselves and others safe".



Other news