Coronavirus: second death in China after Sars-like outbreak

People outside the Wuhan Medical Treatment Centre in Hubei province China on Jan 12 2020. A 69-year-old man has died from a mystery virus that left dozens of people ill in Wuhan

Countries in the region are on high alert, with Indonesia and Thailand intensifying airport screenings.

Two men aged in their 60s have died in China after being struck by the virus, which is understood to have broken out in Wuhan.

He asked Thais to stay calm, as there was no outbreak in the country.

'We are following the World Health Organization, which has not even issued a travel advisory, ' Anung told the publication.

With cases now being reported outside of China, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has also issued a warning of the potential threat of the disease.

Preliminary lab tests cited by Chinese state media last week show that it could have been caused by a new type of coronavirus.

The new coronavirus, which causes cold-like symptoms including a runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat and a fever, has never been seen before and has not yet been named.

The WHO on Thursday stated that not enough is known about the novel coronavirus to draw definitive conclusions about how it is transmitted, clinical features of the disease, or the extent to which it has spread.

The two cases did not visit the Huanan seafood wholesale market associated with the pneumonia cluster in Wuhan.

The Wuhan health commission said 12 people have recovered and been discharged from hospital, while five others were in serious condition.

A second case of infection with a new Chinese coronavirus has been found in Thailand as health authorities ramp up checks on Chinese visitors arriving for the Lunar New Year holiday.

"This is the first domestic discovery of a pneumonia case related to the new coronavirus", the ministry said in a statement.

Thailand has announced a second case of Chinese coronavirus that has killed two people. The announcement follows news that the first case has been detected in Japan.

The hospital reported the case to a public health office on Tuesday. It has been closed since Jan 1.

The enigmatic illness has caused alarm because of its connection to SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed almost 650 people across mainland China and Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

Last week, a 61-year-old man from Wuhan died from pneumonia, which is suspected to be linked to the mysterious virus.

Japan's health ministry said Thursday the virus had been confirmed in a man who had been hospitalized in Japan with pneumonia symptoms after travelling to Wuhan earlier this month.

"His condition is stable", said the MOH.

Wuhan's health commission said no human-to-human transmission had been confirmed but the possibility "cannot be excluded". The mode of transmission is unclear as of now.

Pedestrians wear protective masks as they walk through a shopping district in Tokyo Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020.

The man visited a clinic the same day and reported having traveled to Wuhan, but he returned home after the consultation. She lived in Wuhan.

Related:

Comments


Other news