Son Heung Min's red card for tackle on Andre Gomes rescinded

0:19                      
         
      
       Everton midfielder Andre Gomes posted a Twitter video message on Wednesday

Everton midfielder Andre Gomes has expressed his appreciation to all the people who supported him after the career threatening injury he sustained against Tottenham.

The 26-year-old Everton midfielder suffered a fracture-dislocation to his right ankle during the club's 1-1 draw with Tottenham on Sunday. When does the transfer window reopen?

Speaking ahead of the weekend game with Southampton, manager Marco Silva told a news conference: "It's not easy to give a sure date about when he will return but the feedback from the medical staff is that it is possible we will see him playing again this season".

The expectation had been that Gomes would not play again until next season, but Silva wasn't so sure on Thursday.

"Everything went really well and we hope we can see him playing again this season", Silva admitted.

Referee Martin Atkinson initially showed a yellow card but then produced a red card - an automatic three-match ban - after a VAR intervention, with the English Premier League stating Son had endangered Gomes' safety with his initial challenge.

- Viewers guide: Stream ESPN+ in U.S. - Follow Transfer Talk LIVE - Fantasy: Set lineups, check scores!

While the Portugal global has since undergone successful surgery and Son has seen his red card rescinded upon appeal - he notably chose not to celebrate his two goals against FK Crvena Zvezda on Wednesday evening.

"I think he received a text message from Son", Silva added.

"The toughest moment was for André, but of course for the two players who were involved, first Son and after, [Serge] Aurier, it was really tough as well".

When asked if Gomes had spoken to Son, Silva said: "Of course that was a tougher moment for Andre, for sure, than all the others on the pitch".

Related:

Comments


Other news