Protesters forcibly cut female Bolivia Mayor's hair

Patricia Arce mayor of Vinto in Bolivia speaks to the media after being attacked in the street by a crowd that sprayed her with reddish paint and cut her hair on Nov. 6 2019

Authorities in Bolivia say a third person has been killed in street clashes that have intensified since the country's disputed election almost three weeks ago.

Bolivia has been rocked by deadly post-election violence over opposition claims that Morales rigged his re-election last month.

The protesters accused Mayor Arce of having bussed in supporters of the President to try and break a blockade they had set up and blamed her for the reported deaths, one of which was later confirmed.

Patricia Arce of the governing Mas party was handed over to police in Vinto after several hours, the BBC reported.

Arce was forced to walk to a bridge in Vinto, a small town in central Bolivia, by a crowd of masked protesters.

She was then forced to hold a metal pole as she was paraded, barefoot, around the streets with red paint covering her face, hair and clothes.

Television images showed her on the ground, her hair cut, and covered in red paint.

One of the victims, a 20-year old student, succumbed to injuries sustained during clashes between pro-government and anti-government demonstrators in Cochabamba.

It was alleged that the two protesters had been killed during clashes with President Morales' supporters.

In La Paz, anti-Morales protesters taunted the president by offering a letter of resignation and promised to continue their action until he leaves government.

Police rescue Vinto mayor Patricia Arce Guzman after people threw paint and dirt on her following a fire in Vinto's Town Hall, Quillacollo, Bolivia, Nov. 6, 2019, in this image obtained from Los Tiempos Bolivia social media. Doctors mentioned Guzmán Vasquez had a fractured cranium that might maybe well furthermore had been precipitated by an explosive device.

Stress has been running excessive since election evening when the outcomes depend became inexplicably paused for 24 hours.

Backers of opposition leader Carlos Mesa say results from the October 20 vote were rigged to give Morales just enough of a majority to avoid a runoff he might lose.

The closing end result gave Morales appropriate over the 10-percentage-point lead he wished to purchase outright in the most most vital spherical of the presidential election.

Election observers from the Organization of American States (OAS) expressed their concerns and an audit by the body is now underway. However, Mr Mesa has rejected the audit arguing that it was agreed without his or his party's input. He's also accused Mesa of staging a coup d'etat.



Other news