Israel Folau to contest termination notice

Image Facebook

Embattled winger Israel Folau has opted to contest his breach notice from Rugby Australia.

Australia's full-back Israel Folau scores a try during the worldwide rugby union test match between England and Australia at Twickenham stadium in south-west London on 24 November 2018.

Folau, who rose to prominence with the Melbourne Storm in 2007, last played league with the Broncos in 2010.

Folau was given 48 hours to appeal his contract termination but he appears to be accepting the decision and seeking to move on with his life.

The hearing process would involve a panel of three, a representative of RA, a representative of the players' union RUPA and an independent person approved by both organisations, who would be the chair.

Unless successful at the hearing, Folau faces the sack after being issued with a "high-level" breach notice over controversial social media posts he made on April 10.

The Australian rugby star has had his playing contract with the Waratahs, his club, and the Wallabies, his country, terminated after a controversial social media post last week.

Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle said Folau's request "was not an unexpected outcome".

Folau may have grounds to fight the ruling, with RA's failure to include a social media clause in his new contract set to be a key element in his hearing.

"At the end of the day, either Israel Folau will stay standing or Raelene Castle will stay standing", former Wallabies forward Peter FitzSimons, who had called for him to be fired, said told commercial television broadcaster Nine on Wednesday.

Folau's absence would be a massive blow to Cheika and the Wallabies team at this year's Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Owens said the controversy would not affect the way he referee players such as Folau and Vunipola.

Following a service at the Truth Of Jesus Christ Church, he told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper: "I share it with love".

The Super League could, however, be a potential avenue for Folau, with foxsports.com.au reporting he could make a return to the code after all. But I'd also like him to understand and respect that this is who I am, and I'm glad rugby has allowed me to be who I am.

"Whatever His will is, whether that's to continue playing or not, I'm more than happy to do what He wants me to do", Folau said. "Reading what he said after it, there's no apology, I just can't see a way back for him and I think that's quite sad to be honest with you".

Related:

Comments


Other news