Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony still hospitalized

Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda

A GoFundMe page was started by the child's family friend to help cover the "immense" medical and rehabilitation costs. What a monster to grab an innocent child and do such a frightful thing!

"I just hope that little guy turns out OK", witness Michael Baumann told local TV station ABC 5. "Landen we love you so much buddy".

Hanneman said his picture has been removed from the page because there have been "multiple people trying to copy this GoFundMe page and the family is still requesting privacy and has elected at this point not to share photos at this time"'. He had been thrown from three stories above - by a stranger, police say.

"The child is still alive and receiving care", he said. "The child was treated at the scene and then transported by ambulance to the hospital with life threatening injuries". Potts did not offer details about his condition.

"[Through] our investigative work and witnesses that we've spoken to, we feel confident saying that the suspect threw the child off of the third floor".

Neither the boy nor the family appeared to know Aranda, according to the police statement.

Witnesses told police the child had been either thrown or pushed and that the suspect had taken off running. He said she was screaming, 'Everybody pray, everybody pray. "Oh my God, my baby, someone threw him over the edge,"' Brian Johnson told WCCO.

Potts called the situation "horrific" and said the department was keeping the boy and his family in their "thoughts and prayers".

Despite the incident, Potts thinks the mall is still a safe place. Potts believes this most recent incident is isolated and said the Mall of America continues to be a very safe place to go.

The 5-year-old boy "enjoys soccer, playing with friends and family and playing hockey with his brother and sister", according to the GoFundMe page. They say he fell almost 40 feet after a man threw him off the balcony Friday.

In one case, he pleaded guilty to a gross misdemeanor charge of interfering with a peace officer in connection with a July 4, 2015, incident where he was seen throwing objects from the upper level off the mall.

Court records show the suspect was charged following two previous run-ins with police and security officers at the megamall. He tossed a glass of water in the woman's face, then threw a glass of tea at her leg, shattering the cup.



Other news