Suspect In New Zealand Mosque Attack Appears In Court

Lockie Ferguson and Martin Guptill have opted out of playing for Auckland

Two other armed suspects were taken into custody Friday while police tried to determine what role, if any, they played in the cold-blooded attack that stunned New Zealand, a country so peaceful that police officers rarely carry guns.

"As of last night, we were able to take all of the victims from both of those scenes and in doing so, we have located a further victim", NZ Police Commissioner Mike Bush told reporters on Sunday.

Among the wounded, two were in a critical condition, including a four-year-old child.

The office of New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern said on Saturday that it received a copy of a 74-page "manifesto" from the 28-year-old gunman Brenton Harrison Tarrant, less than 10 minutes before the assault began at the mosques on Friday.

Judge Paul Kellar said although Tarrant was facing only one murder charge, it was "reasonable to assume there will be other charges".

Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old terrorist of Scottish descent, wrote in his 74-page-long "manifesto" that he sees Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common goal".

'But the Prime Minister has signaled that we are going to look at that issue [banning semi-automatic weapons]'.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the shooter, an Australian native, had chosen to strike in New Zealand "because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion". "The people of New Zealand are in our thoughts and prayers".

"But that arrest was tangential to this matter and we do not believe that he was involved in this attack either", he said.

"I can tell you one thing right now, our gun laws will change", Ms Ardern said in Wellington.

"This isn't about cricket", New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said when discussing the cancellations in his sport.

The unidentified man was one of seven victims killed at Linwood, and among 49 total, when Tarrant stormed it and the Al Noor mosque with five guns during Friday afternoon prayer services.

New Zealand police have described efforts to identify the victims as "detailed and complex work" that must be "completed thoroughly".

City officials have brought in extra police to help reassure the Muslim community and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told reporters that the country's gun laws will change.

The test was due to start at Hagley Oval in Christchurch on Saturday but the Bangladesh team left New Zealand less than 24 hours after the shooting and about an hour after the initial scheduled start time.

Meates said at a news conference at the Christchurch hospital that it's "hard to fathom the enormity of this act of terrorism". At least 49 people were killed, while dozens more were injured.

Tarrant lived in Dunedin, on New Zealand's South Island, and was a member of the Bruce Rifle Club, according to media reports which quoted club members saying he often practiced shooting an AR-15, which is a lightweight semi-automatic rifle.

Tarrant was not known to the authorities, Bush said, and had no previous convictions.

Aziz said: "He gets into his vehicle and I just got the gun and threw it on his window like an arrow and blasted his window".

Questions have been raised about why Tarrant had not appeared on a watchlist of New Zealand or Australian security agencies.



Other news