Pompeo says all US diplomats have left Venezuela as crisis deepens

Pompeo says all US diplomats have left Venezuela as crisis deepens

Venezuela later allowed a skeletal staff to remain at the hilltop U.S. Embassy until Thursday's withdrawal.

A convoy was seen leaving the U.S. embassy in Caracas on Thursday morning and the American flag was no longer flying outside.

Pompeo added that the United States government "remains firm in its resolve and support for the people of Venezuela and interim President Juan Guaido".

China offered today to help Venezuela restore its power grid, after President Nicolas Maduro accused US counterpart Donald Trump of cyber "sabotage" that plunged the South American country into its worst blackout on record.

"I know it is a hard moment for them", U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said of the departing diplomats.

Pompeo released a statement Thursday, soon after the last diplomats were reported to have left. "We look forward to resuming our presence once the transition to democracy begins". "USA diplomats will now continue that mission from other locations where they will continue to help manage the flow of humanitarian assistance to the Venezuelan people and support the democratic actors bravely resisting tyranny".

At a press conference on Thursday afternoon, State Department spokesman Robert Palladino revealed the government has revoked hundred of visas from "Maduro-aligned" Venezuelans over the last four days.

He gave no details
He gave no details

"Venezuelans have woken up to find their tap water running black in the latest crisis to hit the beleaguered South American nation", reports the Daily Mail.

"Since this Monday. we have revoked 340 visas, 107 of which include visas of Maduro's former diplomats and their families", Palladino told reporters.

He said the US remains committed to supporting opposition leader Juan Guaido, who has declared himself interim president and is trying to oust Maduro and hold what he says would be free and fair elections.

"I congratulate him for the work he did", Maduro said in a speech Tuesday night.

Venezuela's public employees were called to return to work Thursday after the government ended a almost week-long hiatus caused by an unprecedented nationwide blackout that deepened widespread anger against President Nicolas Maduro. Meanwhile, Venezuela's attorney general Tarek William Saab announced on Tuesday that he had launched an investigation into opposition leader Juan Guaidó over suspicions that he had been involved in the power blackout. "The whole world knows who the saboteur is", he said.

China on Wednesday offered to help Venezuela as it faces a crippling multi-day power blackout that President Nicolas Maduro has blamed on the United States.

Related:

Comments


Other news