New Zealand: Multiple fatalities as gunman opens fire at Christchurch mosque

New Zealand Massacre Shows How Users Find Ways To Share Violent Videos

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said the mass shootings in Christchurch this morning represents "one of New Zealand's darkest days". In one shooting, the shooter live-streamed the attack, but it will not be embedded here on Townhall for obvious reasons.

EARLIER: New Zealand police have confirmed multiple fatalities have occurred at two separate mosques in Christchurch following a prolonged shooting incident this afternoon.

"As far as we know", the fatalities occurred at two mosques, New Zealand's Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

"Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high", he said in a release on Friday. Bush also recommended that residents across the city remain off the streets and indoors.

New Zealand police deployed armed officers in central Christchurch on Friday after reports that several shots had been fired, police said. "We will give more in the near future".

"They were devastated and terrified and I saw [people] who were from the mosque covered in blood sitting in ambulances", Ms Jamieson said.

Another witness told he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled.

The hospital has alerted the public that it is in lockdown, with no staff or patients able to enter or leave the buildings.

The New Zealand Herald reports that the incident took place at a mosque, and that there were numerous casualties.

A witness told TVNZ of the shocking scenes inside the mosque at the time of the shooting. Police had one person in custody but they were not sure if others were involved, and people should stay away from mosques.

A second shooting has also occurred at another mosque in the suburb of Linwood, while a suspicious device, thought to be a bomb, has reportedly been found in a auto on Strickland Avenue. He told police that he called the police climbed a wall to escape, leaving his shoes behind in the process.

Police urged people in central Christchurch to stay indoors.

The Al Hoor mosque is Christchurch's largest mosque. New Zealand Defence Force officials subsequently disarmed the devices safely.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team were bussed to the mosque and were about to go inside when the incident happened.

This is a developing story, check back for more updates.



Other news