Death toll in New Zealand mosque attacks rises to 50

Australian Man Appears In Court On Murder Charge After Christchurch Attack

The 28-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant who has been charged with murder in connection with the attack appeared to be the sole gunman, Bush said.

Brenton Tarrant, formerly of Grafton, was led into the court barefoot in a prison robe and handcuffs, and was not required to speak during his brief three-minute appearance.

Two other armed suspects were taken into custody Friday while police tried to determine what role, if any, they played in the cold-blooded attack that stunned New Zealand, a country so peaceful that police officers rarely carry guns.

The site of the terrorist attacks is sealed off in Christchurch, New Zealand, on March 16, 2019.

Mr Bush, who had earlier called the attack a "very well-planned event", said the suspect was not known to police either in New Zealand or Australia. Two men faced charges unrelated or "tangential" to the attack, while a woman had been released, he said.

From time to time people outside the cordon came to place flowers under a tree to express their condolences to the victims. Police have warned the public that sharing the video is an offence and social media companies have said they are trying to scrub it from their platforms. He killed 41 people at Al Noor, before killing seven at another mosque nearby.

Whether it was at her media conference in the immediate aftermath of the Christchurch mosque massacre on Friday or comforting the devastated Muslim community in the shaken city yesterday, the 38-year-old leader has displayed the right balance of strength and compassion in the aftermath of the atrocity that killed 49 and injured 39 more.

A total of 36 people - two critical - remain in Christchurch Hospital, while a young girl is in Auckland's Starship children's hospital. Muslims account for just over 1 percent of New Zealand's population.

They shared a video message from musicians SOL3MIO, who dedicated a song to "New Zealand, and to family and friends".

Speaking to the Indian Express, Ehsan's father Mohammed Sayeeduddin said, "Authorities at one hospital where injured are admitted told her [Ehsan's wife] that he was not there".

The New Zealand Red Cross has published a list of missing persons on its website.

Ms Arden stated the deadly attacks was one of New Zealand's "darkest days" and vowed to change the country's current gun laws.

Ardern said Tarrant was a licensed gun owner who bought the five guns used in the crimes legally. Ardern suggested "now is the time for change" and hinted she was closely looking at rules regulating ownership of semi-automatic weapons.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who condemned the attack as a "horrible massacre", was praised in the accused gunman's manifesto as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".

Ardern called on the US government to show "sympathy and love for all Muslim communities", and told the press that "the person who has committed this violent act has no place here".

Related:

Comments


Other news