Student Died After Eating Spagetti Left on Kitchen Counter For Five Days

The pasta was left unrefrigerated for five days according to the Journal of Clinical Microbiology

The post mortem discovered that the student had died from food poisoning caused by bacillus cereus, a spore-forming bug that produces toxins.

According to the journal, he left the pasta unrefrigerated for five days and warmed it in the microwave.

The 20-year-old, called AJ, is said to have eaten an old portion of spaghetti that he had cooked five days previously, but had been left on the side for around two days.

Only identified as AJ, the 20-year-old came home from school one day and chose to reheat pasta from a few days before.

AJ vomited for several hours and went to bed at around midnight to try and sleep it off but was found dead by his parents 11 hours later when he failed to turn up for college in Brussels, Belgium.

Assuming he was suffering from a common case of food poisoning, he drank water and went to bed, hoping to sleep it off.

In a YouTube clip, Dr. Bernard, a licensed provider based in the USA confirmed that the spoiled pasta had shut down the student's liver.

"Although we can not incriminate B cereus as the direct and unique cause of death, the present case illustrates the severity of the emetic and diarrheal syndromes and the importance of adequate refrigeration of prepared food", the report said.

The doctors recommend us not to leave foods at room temperature for a long time since bacteria can develop and they can cause food intoxication or even death, as it happened in the before-mentioned case of that student. "But for AJ a second agent was found", Professor Bernard said in the video.

The leftover pasta which the student ate was tested by the National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks and it was revealed that it had life-threatening toxins.

"The food poisoning that results from it is usually self-limiting, meaning one can recover from it through intrinsic bodily functions". Which points us to the final answer of AJ's case.

"Be careful of food left out for more than a few hours". If the food smells amusing, it's always better to be safe than sorry'. He would boil pasta and then put it into Tupperware containers to be eaten during the week after adding a sauce and reheating it, according to Dr Bernard.

On Reddit, one viewer said: "That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later".

As scary as this story may be, it shouldn't stop you from eating leftover pasta or rice again.

Related:

Comments


Other news