Judge denies Kevin Spacey's request to skip court appearance

Kevin Spacey is due to appear in court in Nantucket on January 7

According to a criminal complaint obtained by People, Spacey will be arraigned on 7 January in Nantucket District Court on a charge of indecent assault and battery.

Spacey argued he should be excused from appearing next week because his presence would "amplify the negative publicity already generated in connection with this case".

In the affidavit, Spacey indicated his lawyers would enter not guilty pleas on his behalf at the arraignment.

The actor said in documents received by the court earlier on Monday that he is pleading not guilty and believes he should be excused from appearing at the forthcoming arraignment, the term that describes the process in the United States of calling someone before a court to answer a criminal charge.

Prosecutors have asked the judge to deny Spacey's request.

The actor has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than a dozen men - beginning with allegations by "Star Trek: Discovery" star Anthony Rapp that Spacey made sexual advances toward him when Rapp was 14 years old.

In police reports obtained by PEOPLE, Spacey's accuser, now 20, told authorities that he was "texting and snapchatting" while Spacey reached down his trousers and repeatedly touched his genitals over the course of three minutes while they were together at a Nantucket bar, where the accuser worked as a bus boy.

"He did not report the crime at the time, and that was largely because of embarrassment and fear", she said. Add Kevin Spacey as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Kevin Spacey news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

"I know you're just doing your job", he told one photographer. "Only you and I both know it's never that simple, not in politics and not in life".

Related:

Comments


Other news