Terror attack kills 3 in southeastern port city

State TV says suicide car bombing kills 2 in southeast Iran

India on Thursday strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Iran's Chabahar where a suicide auto bombing followed by an armed assault killed at least two outside police headquarters on Thursday.

A suicide vehicle bombing was followed by an armed assault in Chabahar, Iran.

The governor of Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province, Rahmdel Bamari, told the IRNA news agency that four people had been killed and many others injured.

Mohammad Hadi Marashi, deputy governor for security affairs, told state TV that two police officers were killed in the attack. No militant group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

The southeastern port city in Iran's Sistan and Balochestan province is located near the border with Pakistan.

Images posted on Twitter purported to show thick smoke rising from the area. Reuters could not verify their authenticity.

Chabahar lies in Sistan-Baluchistan province which has always been a flashpoint, with Pakistan-based Baluchi separatists and Sunni Muslim extremists carrying out cross-border attacks targeting the Shiite authorities.

Chabahar, near Iran's border with Pakistan on the Sea of Oman, is home to a newly built port and is an economic free zone.

While rare, Iran has been targeted in recent years by militant attacks.

Iran has stepped up security in border areas after gunmen in September opened fire on a military parade in Iran's southwestern city of Ahvaz, killing 25 people, nearly half of them members of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards corps.

Arab separatists and the Islamic State group both claimed responsibility for the attack.

The television said several people were also wounded in the terrorist attack.

Related:

Comments


Other news