Texas surf park closes after man dies from rare 'brain-eating amoeba'

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot

A New Jersey man has been killed by a brain-eating parasite he may have contracted at a wave pool in Texas, reports claim.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.

An obituary for Stabile in The Press of Atlantic City describes him as an avid outdoorsman who loved surfing, snowboarding and fishing.

In rare cases, the amoeba has been found in inadequately chlorinated swimming pools and even tap water.

The BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas has temporarily shut its doors after a surfer from New Jersey died as a result of complications from Naegleria fowleri, which is often referred to as a "brain-eating amoeba". Officials are investigating the source.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, with just 34 reported between 2008 and 2017. The amoeba is only contracted through the nose, once it enters the nose it travels to the brain where it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is usually fatal.

It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

The surf park voluntarily closed on Friday pending a CDC investigation, reported local media, and is complying with local health departments. The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals. Multiple test results for other bacteria and viruses had been negative or inconclusive. The organizations statistics indicate that since 1962 there have been 143 confirmed cases, of which only four people survived. He said the surf resort is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

Related:

Comments


Other news