Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for “Brain Eating Amoeba”

A surf resort in Waco, Texas, has closed temporarily a week after a surfer contracted Naegleria fowleri, known as brain-eating amoeba.

Fabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, reportedly contracted the amoeba from a wave pool at a surf resort in central Texas.

He tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that usually occurs in warm fresh water.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.

A surfer in the United States died of the extremely rare "brain-eating amoeba" just days after visiting a surf park.

.

In one week, almost $23,000 has been raised to start the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, according to the GoFundMe page.

The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection.

Three of those survivors were treated with drug therapy, but in Stabile's case it was too late to administer the medication.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. says it will also continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile's death. Once it travels through the nose it causes a devastating brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Officials at the CDC, meanwhile, are investigating the water at the BSR Cable Park, reported KBTX.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

CDC has already collected water samples and hopes to deliver conclusions by the end of the week.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

He added: '"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time". The federal agency says only four of the 143 people known to have been infected in the US between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

You can not get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Related:

Comments


Other news