Homeless Samaritan will get GoFundMe money he's owed; couple under investigation

Christopher C. Fallon Jr. left, who is lawyer for Johnny Bobbitt and Ernest E. Badway right who is the lawyer for the Kate Mc Clure and Mark D'Amico look over a document during a hearing on missing funds in the Johnny Bobbitt case in the Olde Hi

Police in New Jersey raided the home of a couple who raised $400,000 in online donations for a homeless man but are now accused of pocketing most of the proceeds.

It was the latest twist in a onetime feel-good story about Johnny Bobbitt, who spent his last $20 to buy gas for McClure when she became stranded on a highway in Philadelphia past year, and the couple who found 14,000 people online who were so touched by his kindness that they donated to a fund to help him start a new life.

GoFundMe has said the company is working with law enforcement to ensure Bobbitt gets all the money raised for him and also that the company gave $20,000 to an account set up by Bobbitt's attorney "to provide assistance" to him during the investigation.

Last year, Bobbitt's story made national headlines after he gave his last $20 to Katelyn McClure after she ran out of gas while on Interstate 95 in Kensington, Pennsylvania. The story went viral and McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, created a GoFundMe account for Bobbitt.

McClure and D'Amico set an initial fundraising goal of $10,000, but ultimately the campaign raised more than $400,000 (about $360,000 of which should have gone to Bobbitt after GoFundMe's processing fees).

McClure and D'Amico have claimed they've given Bobbitt half of the $400,000, while Bobbitt says he's only received $75,000.

As the case drags on, GoFundMe is working with legal counsel and investigators to make sure Bobbitt gets what he's owed, Bobby Whithorne, a spokesman for the company said. The company also pledged that Bobbitt would get all of his money - even if it can not be recovered from McClure and D'Amico.

A homeless war veteran who gave his last $20 to a stranded woman in need of petrol, will receive the $545,000 (AUD) raised for him in a GoFundMe campaign, lawyers say. The couple have denied any wrongdoing or misusing the funds.

McClure and D'Amico are due in court Monday.

According to Fallon, Bobbitt has a drug addiction problem and plans to participate in a monthlong rehab program.

"As of this time, there have been no charges filed", Coffina said in an email.

D'Amico's text suggested that both sides get rid of their lawyers so he could write Bobbitt a check. She said she wants them to appear in person.

Bobbitt filed a lawsuit against the couple last month.

McClure, 28, and D'Amico, 39, were at home Thursday during the early-morning search.

Wednesday's proceedings shed little light on what happened to the cash after a Tuesday revelation from Bobbitt's attorney, Chris Fallon, that all the money was gone.

As for Bobbitt, the couple said he once burned through $25,000 they gave him in less than two weeks.

The Bobbitt case is an example of why donors are better off contributing to nonprofits that are subject to regulations and financial reporting requirements, he said.

According to a report by Fox News, footage taken from the scene showed a shiny, black BMW being towed from the Bordentown property owned by Katie McClure and Mark D'Amico.

The authorities executed the search warrant a day after a court hearing in New Jersey in which a judge expressed frustration that the couple's lawyer did not show an accounting of the money raised and if it had been spent.

GoFundMe allows users to raise money to pay for a variety of causes and expenses, from medical bills to college tuition.

This photo taken August 15, 2018, shows Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless veteran who gave $20 for gas for Kate McClure, back on the streets with his brother.

Related:

Comments


Other news