Holdout over: Thomas rejoins Seahawks

Earl Thomas posts he plans to report as Seahawks apparently turn down a second-round pick from Dallas

NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport said Wednesday that Thomas will play out the final year of his deal in Seattle and that the Seahawks agreed to wipe out nearly all of his fines for not showing up to training camp.

With Thomas saying a few times that he won't return to the Seahawks without a contract extension and a lack of signs that a contract extension is something the team is interested in extending his way, no end to the Thomas saga appears to be in sight.

Wednesday morning, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Dallas had actually upped the ante during the final week of the preseason, offering Seattle a second-round pick in exchange for Thomas. According to Pro Football Talk, Thomas is scheduled to make a base salary of $8.5 million this year.

The Cowboys hoped adding Thomas and his playmaking skills to the back end of the team's young and improved defense could put them over the top.

Thomas is a three-time first-team All-Pro and was the anchor for the Seattle defence that appeared in consecutive Super Bowls, winning the first.

The Cowboys' interest in Thomas remains strong.

Thomas took to instagram today to announce he will report to Seahawks camp today, but it's clear he doesn't expect to be back in Seattle after this season.

Seattle wasn't interested - the team wanted more. The Cowboys would start the season with Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier and new signee Tyree Robinson at the safety position while they await Xavier Woods' return from a hamstring injury. I've never let me teammates, city or fans down as long as I've lived and don't plan on starting this weekend.

Earlier this month, writing for The Players' Tribune, Thomas said that he deserves to be paid accordingly as the only "Legion of Boom" mainstay still on the team.

Related:

Comments


Other news