Dozens killed, including children on a bus, in Yemen air strikes

One dead, several wounded after Saudi Arabia 'intercepts Yemen missile'

The International Committee of the Red Cross, citing local officials, announced that a total of 50 people have died in the attack and 77 have been injured, majority children.

‏He added: "Launching ballistic missiles at densely-populated civilian areas is a direct breach of the principles of worldwide humanitarian law".

Earlier, Maliki accused the Houthis of "recruiting child soldiers, throwing them in battlefields and using them as tools".

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

Among the dead were children on a school bus that had been traveling through Dahyan Market, located in Yemen's Saada province, at the time of the attack.

The children were on a field trip when their bus was struck at a market, the first stop of the day; 50 were killed and 77 injured, according to the ministry.

Speaking to the BBC last month, Mr Hadi said that military intervention by the Saudi-led coalition had gone on longer than expected but the alternative, he added, was far worse.

The United States and other Western powers provide arms and intelligence to the alliance, and human rights groups have criticized them over coalition air strikes that have killed hundreds of civilians at hospitals, schools and markets.

Footage provided by the rebels' Ansarullah Media Centre showed a number of wounded children lying two to a hospital bed, while in a separate shot medics tend to casualties in a crowded room.

"Grotesque, shameful, indignant. Blatant disregard for rules of war when bus carrying innocent school children is fair game for attack", Jan Egeland, head of the Norwegian Refugee Council, said in a Twitter post.

The missile was sacked from the rebel-held Yemeni province of Amran towards the Saudi city of Jizan, the coalition said.

Worldwide aid groups were quick to condemn the air strike.

According to Al Jazeera, the Saudi coalition claimed it had targeted "missile launchers", but Yemen-based reporters who have witnessed numerous attacks in civilian-populated areas vigorously disputed the claim.

The Saudi coalition has been at war with the Houthis since March 2015.

The Iran-backed Shiite militia has controlled Yemen's northwest, including Saada, since ousting the country's internationally recognized government from the capital, Sanaa, in 2014.

Saudi Arabia intercepted a ballistic missile fired by Yemen's Houthi rebels on Wednesday, but shrapnel killed a Yemeni man and wounded 11 others in the southern Saudi city of Jazan, the Arab Coalition said.

A State Department spokeswoman expressed concern over the airstrike, and called for the Saudi-led coalition to investigate.

The war in the impoverished country has since left almost 10,000 people dead and unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

In another video, which appears to show the immediate aftermath of the strike, several lifeless bodies of children lay under a blown-up bus.

The fight for the port of Hodeida, a key lifeline for supplies and aid for Yemen's population on the brink of starvation, has become the latest battleground in the devastating war.

Related:

Comments


Other news