Pompeo: Iran nuclear deal was 'loser' in Mideast

Pompeo vows 'strongest sanctions in history' on Iran

In a statement released by Iran's public broadcaster IRIB on May 21, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif expressed his government's concerns that Europe is not fully committed or capable of protecting the agreement and its investments in Iran as European companies may freeze their investment programmes until Brussels comes up with a clear plan for how it can legally shield them from a new round of U.S. sanctions, Zarif said.

But in his remarks at the Heritage Foundation, Pompeo said only that if Europe wanted to try to preserve the Iran deal working with Tehran, that would not change the Trump administration's approach.

The United States' European allies oppose the president's withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.

"We expect the European countries to create a situation for the companies of their countries to be protected by their respective governments to keep doin business with Iran", said Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, the Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs, who also heads Iran's expert delegation in negotiations with Europe, on Monday. He said he would work closely with the Pentagon and regional allies "to deter any Iranian aggression".

Weeks after president Donald Trump pulled the United States out of a controversial Iranian nuclear agreement, the White House is laying the ground work for how it is going to deal with the Islamic regime's nuclear ambitions.

Pompeo said the deal was a "loser" that had "huge negative repercussions", adding that Iran had "advanced its march across the Middle East" since the signing of the 2015 deal.

Last week, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif made a tight diplomatic trip for negotiations on how to save the JCPOA in the wake of the United States withdrawal from the multilateral nuclear deal. European Union officials are reportedly exploring the possibility of widening the scope of the 2015 deal to include Iran's missile programme. The fact that the European countries that are party to the Iran deal are even considering choosing punishment over cooperation should shock those who care about the transatlantic alliance. They could affect negatively non-American companies doing business in Iran.

He also stressed that not only European countries but countries around the world should be involved in the forming of a new Iran deal - including Australia, Bahrain, Egypt, India, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, the UAE, and "many, many others worldwide".

Calling the accord as an "embarrassment" that was "defective at its core", he also warned of severe consequences if Iran resumes its nuclear programme.

Other Trump administration officials have said the new USA strategy will encompass "a new security architecture" that extends beyond Iran's peaceful nuclear program to also include its missile technology, activities in Syria and Yemen, according to CNN. He said Iran must end support for Shia Houthi rebels in Yemen, "withdraw all forces" from Syria, halt support for its ally Hezbollah and stop threatening Israel.

The speech did not explicitly call for regime change but Pompeo repeatedly urged the Iranian people not to put up with their leaders, specifically naming President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. "We long to see them prosper and flourish as in decades past, and as never before".

Pompeo said he understood that Trump's decision "will pose financial and economic difficulties for a number of our friends".

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson cast doubt that the broad list of objectives can be achieved in "a reasonable time frame", as Pompeo described.

Related:

Comments


Other news