Kathua rape/murder case: SC asks J&K govt to protect victim's family, lawyer

Citing jammu as a model of inclusiveness Mehbooba praises role of people

The trial of the eight accused has started in a Kathua court and the next hearing is to be held on April 28.

Protests erupted at many places in Kashmir valley on Monday against the rape and brutal murder of an 8-year-old girl at Kathua in Jammu region. The disbursement of compensation will be made if the victim's father files an undertaking that in the case of the trial court ordering the accused to pay any amount as compensation, he will remit the amount, whether equal or as ordered, whichever is less.

The court directed the next hearing of the matter on April 27.

Maliwal, 33, launched the protest at Rajghat on Friday in the wake of the rape incidents in Uttar Pradesh's Unnao and Jammu and Kashmir's Kathua districts.

Lawyer Deepika Rajawat, who is representing the victim's family has said that there is a threat to her life and is even being called "anti-Hindu".

Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Sunday accepted the resignation of its two cabinet ministers- Lal Singh and CP Ganga- who took part in a rally supporting those accused of raping and killing a young girl in Kathua.

Shoeb Alam, the counsel for J&K, told the apex court that the state has "provided adequate protection to the family members of the victim, and has no objection to provide security to the counsel appearing for the victim".

This comes as the trial in the case began in the rape and murder case on Monday.

The family of the victim has said that the trial must be shifted out of Jammu and Kashmir.

The eight-year-old girl from the Bakarwal tribe was abducted and sedated January, locked inside a temple and raped for nearly a week. All the accused persons were brought before the court which directed that chargesheet copies be provided to each of them. Ram told the judge that they wanted narco tests and were ready for them.

The victim went missing on January 10; a week later her body was found in a forest near her house. She was kept sedated and sexually assaulted before being bludgeoned to death. Relatives of the victim present outside the Kathua court accused the media of ignoring extensive reportage of this heinous crime for almost three months.

The charge sheet also names investigating officers head constable Tilak Raj and sub-inspector Anand Dutta, who allegedly took Rs 4 lakh from Ram and destroyed crucial evidence.



Other news