Egypt army says 8 soldiers, 14 jihadists killed in Sinai attack

Egypt armed forces foil 'terrorist' plot in central Sinai

Suicide bombers and gunman armed with grenades attacked around dawn.

The attack was the largest against Egyptian security forces since President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi won a second term in office last month, promising to work for stability and security in Egypt.

Eight army personnel were also killed while 15 others were injured during the attack, the armed forces said in a statement.

The military said earlier that 27 militants were killed over the last few days in a sweeping operation launched on February 9 in the Sinai to quash extremists based in the peninsula.

The group has killed hundreds of soldiers, policemen and civilians, mainly in its North Sinai stronghold but also elsewhere in Egypt.

Egypt has extended an ongoing nationwide state of emergency another three months, starting Saturday 14 April, the official gazette reported late on Friday. His order came after an attack on a mosque that left more than 300 dead.

It involves land, sea and air forces and covers parts of Egypt's Nile Delta and the Western Desert, along the porous border with Libya. A nationwide state of emergency was first imposed in April past year after two church bombings claimed by the Islamic State group killed at least 45 people, and was renewed in July, in October and in January.

A new decree further lengthening it was issued in October and then extended in January.

It would take place in areas including around the town of Rafah bordering the Palestinian Gaza Strip, and around El-Arish, the capital of North Sinai, according to the gazette.

Related:

Comments


Other news