Australia shark attack: mauled surfer swims to shore despite leg injuries

Surfers look back at the swell on Cowaramup Bay in Gracetown. Source File pic Getty Images

The Margaret River Pro worldwide surfing competition which is taking place nearby has been put on hold while organisers wait for information from local authorities.

He was treated on the beach by paramedics before being flown 160 miles by helicopter to a hospital in Perth, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

In that instance, friends used the rope from the victim's board as a tourniquet and gave him first aid until emergency crews arrived from Margaret River within six minutes, according to a St John Ambulance spokesman.

'A shark popped up and pretty much ended up knocking a surfer from his board, ' he said.

Jovic said everyone was "walking around like stunned mullets" after the attack.

'There was a lot more thrashing around. After that it was hard to see what was going on.

Two men have been separately attacked by a shark in Western Australia, with one managing to walk to an ambulance and the other bodysurfing back to shore where friends applied a tourniquet to stem his bleeding.

"(He) ended up miraculously bodysurfing into a little wave and getting pushed in by a local at the same time, who was out there with him, and making it to shore before everyone came to his aid".

"It swam under a couple of guys and came around and bit a third person", he said.

A man in his 30s was attacked by a shark shortly before 8am.

Another witness, Brett Newland, told the station it was a "large shark" and that "from the way it was behaving, it would have been a white pointer" - better known as a great white.

"He had cuts to both legs".

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make worldwide news given the Margaret River Pro event was on nearby.

"The safety of our surfers and staff is a top priority", a spokeswoman said.

Australia's two-time world champion Tyler Wright and Kiwi Paige Hareb were the first surfers to hit the water for their round-two heat after the shark scare. "We have mitigation protocols in place and will be enhancing those when competition resumes".



Other news