Michael Hand captured — COLD CASE ARREST

State Police Col. Kerry Gilpin

After 31 years of intensive investigation and questioning, Massachusetts State Troopers and Troutman police arrested 61-year-old Michael Hand on the murder charges of Tracy Gilpin.

Tracy Gilpin, of Kingston, Massachusetts, disappeared on October 1, 1986.

Tracy asked the woman who threw the party for a ride home, but the woman couldn't leave. She separated from her friends and walked to the Cumberland Farms on Route 3A.

Her body was found 14 miles away in the woods of the Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth. She died of a blow to her head that crushed her skull. Gilpin's shoes and trousers were not there and her mother was able to identify her with the help of her jewelry.

They lived in the Rocky Nook area of Kingston.

On Friday, Michael Hand was taken into custody at his home in Troutman.

Kerry, who was 16 at the time of Tracy's death, told the Boston Globe previous year she chose to go into law enforcement because of her sister's unsolved murder.

WSOCTV reports that the station spoke with the suspect's neighbors in Trout, North Carolina, who said Hand never spoke of Gilpin, although he apparently had tied to MA and went back to state numerous times over the years.

A man living in Iredell County has been arrested and charged in connection with a 1986 murder of a teenage girl in MA, according to a news release.

Kerry Gilpin, who is late Tracy Gilpin's sister is the superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police.

Gilpin said her family was extremely grateful to those who provided information to investigators assigned to her sister's case.

"For the past three decades, we have remained hopeful that Tracy's murderer would be identified", Colonel Gilpin said.

It's still unclear how authorities connected Hand to the crime, but he's in the process of extradition from North Carolina to MA. "It gives my family hope". That reward was later raised to $25,000, according to The Boston Globe.

The authorities never stopped investigating Gilpin's slaying.

He was transported to the Iredell County Detention Center where he was brought before a magistrate.



Other news