Federer takes care of business, Daniel stuns Djokovic

Roger Federer

Taro Daniel, a 109th-ranked qualifier, upset five-time Indian Wells champion Novak Djokovic 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1.

British number one Kyle Edmund was beaten in straight sets by Israel's Dudi Sela 6-4 6-4 in his first match since reaching the Australian Open semi-finals.

He is making a cautious return to the ATP Tour after stopping his 2017 season following Wimbledon, due to a right elbow injury. Djokovic even admitted that he lacked rhythm in the game. Delbonis earned two break points but he wasted the first one when his backhand landed long and the second after a good serve from Roger who grabbed the set in 37 minutes after a forehand error from his rival.

"Very weird - I just completely lost rhythm", Djokovic said.

"I was grateful to be out on the court after surgery that quickly but at the same time just didn't feel good at all".

"I was not even supposed to be here because of the surgery that was only five, six weeks ago", said Djokovic. "I have been sick for over a week and tried everything I could to get better".

The defeat marked just the fifth time in the past decade when Djokovic lost to a player outside the ATP top 100.

Djokovic - who benefited from a bye in the first round - relinquished a 5-2 lead in the first set and wound up committing 61 unforced errors.

New York-born Daniel, who next faces Leonardo Meyer in the third round, said: "The Djokovic I know is like the Djokovic I have seen on TV, and he never misses a ball, he puts the ball wherever he wants". So I was able to take advantage of it. He pulled it back in the second set, but was blown away by the Japanese youngster in the decider.

No wonder the injury hit Djokovic uttered to reporters afterward: "For me it felt like (the) first match I ever played on the tour".

Roger Federer completed a rain-delayed debut match at the BNP Paribas Open on Sunday with a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over Federico Delbonis of Argentina.

His title defense got off to a soggy start Saturday night when play was suspended because of rain showers, with Federer up a set and tied 2-2 in the second.



Other news