Russian Federation could block access to YouTube over opposition video

Russian Federation could block access to YouTube over opposition video

On Saturday, the Russian federal communications oversight agency Roskomnadzor "ordered YouTube to remove seven videos and ordered Instagram to take down 14 posts, all cited in the investigation", according to The New York Times.

The woman, who calls herself Nastya Rybka, has written a book about her work as an escort and said on Russian television past year that she had been hired by a modeling agency to spend time at Deripaska's yacht.

Access to two of the pages leading to Alexey Navalny's investigation on Oleg Deripaska, as well as the video about the investigation, is limited in Russian Federation, as follows from the Roskomnadzor registry.

Navalny claims that the videos allegedly showing the escort, Derpaska and Prikhodo, are evidence of government corruption and has refused to take down the videos.

The opposition leader also noted that Rybka's video filmed weeks before the 2016 U.S. election captured a conversation about former U.S. State Department employee Victoria Nuland, and connected the Deripaska-Prikhodko conversation to speculation that the oligarch could have been a link between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.

Instagram has not yet commented on the matter but an anonymous source from YouTube claims that, whilst it has sent messages to those who uploaded the videos, it has not asked them to remove them.

Oleg Deripaska

Navalny said that beyond cavorting with what he said were women in the "escort services industry", Prikhodko was accepting a bribe from the billionaire by traveling on his ship. Russian Federation may block access to YouTube and Instagram after billionaire Oleg Deripaska won a court injunction against videos and photographs that showed him and Deputy Prime Minister Sergey Prikhodko relaxing on a yacht with a woman described as an escort.

Navalny is President Putin's most prominent opponent, but he has been banned from standing as a candidate in the presidential elections due next month.

The material was said to have been sourced from a woman's Instagram account, where it had been posted in 2016. In total, following Oleg Deripaska's request, the Ust-Labinsk District Court of the Krasnodar Region chose to mark 14 Instagram posts by Rybka as forbidden, but she removed a lot of them herself a few days ago. The government's media watchdog, Roskomnadzor, then gave YouTube and Instagram three days to take the videos down or be investigated. He alleges a corruption conviction against him was fabricated to keep him out of the running.

A February 14 deadline that Navalny said was set by Roskomnadzor passed without incident, but reports that navalny.com was inaccessible for many in Russian Federation began flowing in on February 15.

Google subsequently wrote to Mr Navalny's team saying it might be forced to block the videos.

Related:

Comments


Other news