DOLE to issue 'total ban' on OFW deployment to Kuwait today

Kuwait's Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Sabah al Khalid Al Sabah attends the Kuwait International Conference for Reconstruction of Iraq in Bayan Kuwait

Duterte asked Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific Friday to provide flights for Filipinos who want to leave Kuwait, after the body of a Filipino worker was found in a freezer of an abandoned apartment.

Numerous workers reportedly suffer sexual abuse from their male employers.

A total of 317 distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Kuwait arrived in Manila on Monday.

Last year, the Philippines also received grim news after the Kuwaiti government carried the death penalty on Jakatia Pawa, a migrant worker in Kuwait who was accused and sentenced to death even after appealing innocence for the 2007 murder of her employer's daughter.

The Philippines also sends skilled workers to Kuwait.

Authorities have not ruled out revoking the permits of Filipinos now working in Kuwait or of previous hires returning on new contracts.

She said she has been applying for assistance from the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait since last year.A mother of five from Palawan, Montargo said she is happy that the government did not just help them to come home, but also told them they would be given cash, which they could use as capital for a small business.However, she admitted that she still wants to work overseas.

PAL said it will be utilizing its 363 - seater Airbus A330.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that the government is now processing the repatriation of more OFWs from Kuwait. "Many OFWs have already reserved seats on regular flights for the coming days".

Cebu Pacific will be deploying an Airbus A330 aircraft which has a maximum capacity of 436 travelers. It has a maximum capacity of 436 passengers.

A group of recruiters expressed support for the Duterte deployment ban, meanwhile.

Officials added they were eyeing China and Russian Federation as "alternative markets" for overseas workers.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III speaks before the media during a press conference with President Rodrigo Duterte in Davao City.

"We are also in the process of formulating a set of policy and other recommendations so that the Duterte administration will have additional options on how to save our fellow Filipinos from slavery and human trafficking and be more effective in the delivery of services to OFWs not just in Kuwait but worldwide", the statement said.

Related:

Comments


Other news