Possible Hepatitis A Exposure at 7-Eleven Store in West Jordan, Utah

7-Eleven sign

Based on average sales volume for this store, health officials estimate up to 2,000 customers may be affected.

Authorities say that people who visited the 7-Eleven, located at 2666 West 7800 South, between December 26 and January 3 are at risk, especially if they used the bathroom or consumed certain specific items like fresh fruit, fountain drinks, or anything from the hot food case.

Health officials issued a warning Sunday evening that some customers at a West Jordan convenience store may have been exposed to hepatitis A and should receive an injection to prevent infection.

The items include: Fountain drink, self-served drinks, fresh fruit and hot foods including pizza and hot dogs.

Customers who consumed any packaged items from the store, including bottled drinks and microwaved foods, are not at risk for exposure and do not need to contact the heath department, officials said. Customers who consumed only packaged or bottled items do not need to contact the health department. An infected 7-Eleven employee who worked while sick is the cause of the possible exposure.

The Salt Lake County Health Department said in an earlier statement that as many as 2,000 could have been exposed.

7-Eleven didn't respond to a request from CSD for a comment on the situation, or the course of action the company is now pursuing. If immunoglobulin is not available, hepatitis A vaccine can be substituted.

A hepatitis A outbreak is linked to eating and drinking from a 7-Eleven store in Utah.

The first time that a vaccine for hepatitis A became available was in 1995; after that there has been a decline of more than 95 per cent in the number of people suffering from hepatitis A in the U.S. In 2015, almost 2,800 cases of hepatitis A was found across 50 states, reported the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention. Health department staff will screen callers and give them options for getting the vaccination. 7-Eleven is cooperating fully with the health department's investigation and response and, since discovering the possible exposure, has sanitized the affected store according to health department recommendations.

Executive director of SLCoHD, Gary Edwards, said, "This is an important reminder to food service establishments that they should consider vaccinating their food-handling employees against hepatitis A".

Pam Davenport, spokesperson for the health department, told Mail Online that right now, it's too soon tell how many people are affected, as the symptoms can take anywhere from a few weeks to a month to surface.

Hepatitis A is a liver virus typically passed between people through fecal or oral contact, but it can also be spread through contaminated food items, explained the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But in rare cases it can cause liver failure.

Related:

Comments


Other news