Illness Associated With Sprouts Served at Jimmy John's

Illness Associated With Sprouts Served at Jimmy John's

Anyone who has developed Salmonella symptoms after eating at a Jimmy John's restaurant is asked to contact a local health care provider or health department.

Jimmy John's has been asked by the IL public health department to cut sprouts from the menu after a food poisoning outbreak. Neither case is from McLean County, according to the county health department. They determined the sprouts were the most likely culprit.

Two of the cases have affected IL residents who fell ill on December 20 and December 26.

People in IL reported becoming ill on December 20th and 26th, 2017.

Officials are working to identify the source of sprouts supplied to the restaurants where people became ill and if the product was distributed to other locations.

All Jimmy John's restaurants in IL have been asked to stop serving sprouts after health officials traced them to an outbreak of salmonella. Symptoms usually develop with six to 72 hours of consumption with the illness lasting three to seven days.

Symptoms may include headache, muscle aches, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, chills, fever, nausea, and dehydration.

Health officials say children, older adults, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems should never eat raw sprouts, including alfalfa, clover, radish or mung bean sprouts, because they're a known source of foodborne illness. In most cases, the illness resolves on its own.

The same strain of salmonella bacteria is linked to illnesses in IL and Minnesota, where patients also reported eating at the sandwich chain.

Person-to-person transmission of Salmonella occurs when an infected person's feces, from his or her unwashed hands, contaminates food during preparation or comes into direct contact with another person.

Related:

Comments


Other news