Dengue death case: FIR against Fortis

Gurugram Fortis removed from state govt's list of empanelled hospitals

After the case came to light and attracted much criticism on social media, Adya's father Jayant Singh claimed Fortis representatives tried to bribe him into stopping his campaign.

Adya Singh had died of dengue 15 days after she was admitted to the Fortis multi super-specialty hospital.

The Haryana Health Department filed an FIR against Fortis Hospital in Gurgaon after a 7-year-old girl died in the hospital allegedly due to medical negligence, Health Minister Anil Vij said on Sunday. He also urged in his complaint that the case should be registered under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

Earlier, a government-constituted committee in its report had charged the management with serious irregularities in the functioning of the hospital administration.

A notice had been issued for the cancellation of the licence of the hospital's blood bank by the Haryana Government.

Jayant Singh said that the hospital kept pumping Adya with drugs, even while the family kept asking doctors to do an MRI or CT scan.

On September 14, when an MRI was performed, Adya's brain got damaged up to 80 percent and doctors then suggested a "body plasma transplant"; which would have cost another Rs 16 lakh if performed.

The seven-year-old succumbed on the same day, with her parents left with a bill of 15,79,322- that adds up to more than a lakh per day.

Singh has also accused the FMRI of forging his and his wife's signature to hide its negligence in the treatment and prolonging the medical treatment of his daughter, without medical justification, for motives of profit.

This includes documentation fee of Rs 250, consultation fee for a dietician of Rs3,000, and an eye specialist's fee of Rs13,200. The 20-page bill included charges for 660 syringes and 2,700 gloves, and triggered outrage among people that the family was overcharged. In addition to this, Adya's hospital gown was also charged for Rs 900.

The parents had alleged that they were grossly overcharged by the hospital after the death of their daughter.



Other news