Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case

The baby who was found alive after being declared dead by Max Hospital earlier this week has died

The twins born in a private hospital were both declared dead, when the parents noticed one of the babies squirming inside the plastic bag that doctors placed the infants in.

Delhi's police in their statement said that it had transferred the case to its crime unit. When the parents were on their way to a crematorium to perform their last rites, they found that the boy was still alive, and rushed him to another hospital. But the hospital said that the premature twins were stillborn.

Malik's family had reportedly asked for financial assistance from the government to move the newborn to a "bigger and better" hospital than India's Delhi New Born Center, where the baby was being treated.

"We knew from the beginning that he may not survive, but we were trying our best", said Dr. Sandeep Gupta, who had been treating the newborn. "On November 30, the baby was brought to the centre and were able to maintain his vitals for a few days". He said that the baby died of multiple organ dysfunction.

Max Healthcare authorities today released a statement saying, "We just learnt of the sad demise of the 23-week preterm baby, who was on ventilator support".

Aslam Khan, deputy commissioner of police (northwest), also confirmed the news. Our deepest condolences are with the parents and other family members. The baby's uncle said that they will continue to protest outside Max Hospital.

Father of the baby told reporters that he would not take the infant's body home unless the doctors were arrested. He has also demanded the immediate arrest of the two doctors who allegedly declared his son dead. While we understand that survival in extreme preterm births is rare, it is always painful for the parents and family.

"We want the Delhi government to take strict action against the hospital authorities for their negligence", said Malik.

According to a Delhi government official, the government's preliminary inquiry report had found that "no [electrocardiography] tracings were done to trace whether the child was alive". Mr. Jain had on December 2 said the licence of the hospital could be cancelled if found guilty of negligence.

The hospital had sacked two doctors involved in the case but has said its internal investigation was not complete yet.

Related:

Comments


Other news