Video in Malaysian court shows 'fatal attack on Kim Jong Nam'

Video in Malaysian court shows practice before Kim attack

Some of the footage, dated February 11, appeared to show Huong approaching an unidentified man from behind and placing her hands around his neck and face, before backing away slowly with her head slightly lowered and her hands put together.

Kim Jong Nam was seen arriving at the departure hall of the Kuala Lumpur global airport the morning of February 13 and moving to a check-in area.

Investigating officer from the Sepang district police headquarters, ASP Wan Azirul Nizam Che Wan Aziz told the High Court, here today, the names of the four unidentified suspects from when he quizzed the first suspect Siti Aisyah, 25, following her arrest. The man, wearing a black cap and carrying a black backpack, was seen in the video walking into the airport with a woman who resembled Huong.

No further details about those four suspects were disclosed in open court, though Prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin said outside court the four are believed to be North Koreans.

However, both men's faces were heavily obscured in the footage.

Huong and Aisyah are the only two suspects detained in the brazen assassination of Kim, an outcast from North Korea's ruling family who lived overseas in virtual exile for years.

Huong and Aisyah have pleaded not guilty to murder charges that carry a mandatory death sentence if they are convicted.

Mr Wan Azirul told the court Huong appeared "aggressive" and did not apologise to Kim like she did to another person she approached in a similar manner two days earlier.

But Hisyam Teh, Huong's lawyer, argued that she could not have known she was handling VX.

That encounter was described as a practice session for smearing Kim's face with VX nerve agent, the court was told. Those three were later allowed to fly home in exchange for nine Malaysians being allowed to leave Pyongyang in a deal easing a diplomatic standoff that brought relations between the two countries to historic lows.

Wan Azirul Nizam added that Jong-Nam's original passport, bearing the name Kim-Chol, was handed over to the North Korean embassy and that he was present when a copy of the passport was made by the police.

The trial will resume after a planned visit to the airport on October 24.



Other news