Charlottesville Police Charge DeAndre Harris with Unlawful Wounding

Credit Special to the Democrat Gazette					Jacob Scott Goodwin 22

A third person has been arrested in the August beating of a black man at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, authorities said Wednesday.

Twenty-year-old DeAndre Shakur Harris swung himself to the Charlottesville Police Department around 8:30 a.m. Thursday, October 12.

Jeff Fogel, who is running to become Charlottesville's Commonwealth Attorney, said that Charlottesville police have "a lot to explain", and has complained that police haven't been as quick to punish violent alt-right protesters as they have Harris. A detective verified the facts and issued a warrant, police said. Police won't reveal details of the warrant, including who made the complaint, until it is served.

According to its website Crews is chairman of the North Carolina League of the South, a neo-Confederate organization.

Video of the rally shows DeAndre Harris, 20, being beaten by several men outside a parking garage at the rally. Merritt, his attorney, said Harris will not attend the hearing and that he is not willing to be interviewed by the media. "His word alone, without any additional evidence, allowed for a warrant to go forward".

Crews has not responded to calls for comment.

He described the victim as a member of a white supremacist group and maintained that his client did not instigate the fight. He said they got into an argument with people from hate groups who threw things and shouted racial slurs at them, and he and Harris got separated during the ensuing chaos. Harold Ray Crews, who identifies himself online as an attorney and "Southern Nationalist", has alleged that Harris injured him during the brawl.

Mr Harris was working as a full-time teacher's assistant in Charlottesville before the rally.

"Based on the exception to the system, the word of one white supremacist, he's being called a felon and he's being (dragged) back through the system", Merritt said.

Two alleged assailants were charged with malicious wounding in September.

The demonstrators gathered near the same statue of Confederate General Robert E Lee that was at the centre of the August deadly clashes.



Other news