U2 Cancels St. Louis Show Amid Protests

U2 Cancels St. Louis Show Amid Protests

"While we know emotions are running high, our number one priority is protecting and serving our citizens".

Rock giants U2 called off a concert planned for Saturday night in St Louis, Missouri, as the United States city braced for the second day of protests over the acquittal of a former police officer in the shooting death of a black man.

"This court, as a trier of fact, is simply not firmly convinced of defendant's guilt", Judge Wilson wrote in his ruling. Stockley could have been sentenced to up to life in prison without parole had he been convicted. The officer fired five times into Smith's vehicle. The chase ended when Stockley instructed his partner to ram into Smith's vehicle. Prosecutors contended that Stockley had planned to kill Smith during a auto chase of Smith and then planted a gun in Smith's vehicle after the fatal encounter.

Protesters prepare to throw back tear gas canisters during their march in the streets of St. Louis, hours after the announcement of a non-guilty verdict of a former white St. Louis policeman in the 2011 shooting of a black man, in St. Louis on September 15, 2017. The judge in July granted the defense's motion for a waiver of jury trial. "I did not plant a gun", he said. Prosecutors accused the officer of planting a silver revolver to justify the shooting.

Trouble flared after a judge acquitted Jason Stockley of first-degree murder for killing Anthony Lamar Smith. He left the force in 2013 and has since moved to Houston, Texas.

Yesterday, following the acquittal of former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley, protests flared up in the downtown and Central Wet End areas of St. Louis.

U2 Cancels St. Louis Show Amid Protests

Jason Stockley's first-degree murder trial concluded August 9 and St. Louis has been on edge awaiting Judge Timothy Wilson's ruling.

People were enraged and flooded the streets after the decision was announced Friday.

The National Guard was mobilized ahead of the verdict's announcement, and Greitens said most of their personnel remains on standby.

Twenty-three people were arrested as of 6 p.m. Friday. Some in our university campus communities have been following this trial closely and may have deep feelings and strong opinions about the verdict.

St Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson issued a statement Friday saying, "I am appalled at what happened to Anthony Lamar Smith". Also asking for peace is Smith's fiancée, Christina Wilson.



Other news