'Significant arrest' made in connection with bombing of London Underground

Police are today hunting for the'bucket bomber who tried blow up a rush hour Tube train amid claims that he is armed and may have left other devices

Meanwhile, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Britain was hit by a terrorist attack on Friday morning, when a crude device exploded on a crowded London Underground train.

The UK terror threat level has now been raised to critical - the highest level - meaning an attack may be imminent.

The suspect was arrested in port city of Dover on Saturday, police said. At least 29 passengers were injured, as several were burned and dozens attempted to escape unharmed.

The arrest of the 18-year-old is coming hours after United Kingdom authorities increased the terror threat to "critical"- its highest level after the London Underground blast that injured more than two dozen people.

"We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning", Neil Basu, Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing, said in a statement.

Currently, both the suspects, charged under the Britain's Terrorism Act are being interrogated by the cops at the South London Police Station. Friday's bombing was the fifth terrorism incident in the country this year, in which 36 people have been killed.

"Our embassy officials and staff have advised the members of the Filipino community to remain calm yet vigilant even as there are no reports of Filipinos injured in the explosion", said Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella.

May's decision to raise the threat level means the British army will be deployed on the streets to take over certain duties normally carried out by the police. The strike is being investigated as a terror attack.

Police said that there were no serious and life-threatening injuries, which are mainly flash burns.

The man's name is not being released at this point, but detectives have spoken with 45 witnesses and received over 75 images and investigators.

It is understood the device had a timer, but Frank Gardner, the BBC's security correspondent, said the bomb appeared not to have gone off properly.



Other news