Man arrested for driving truck towards anti-fascist protesters in Washington state

Another anti-white nationalist protest in Portland

The rally in Vancouver started at 2 p.m. and was joined by some counter-protesters, who followed Patriot Prayer members into the Sunday afternoon rally.

Police in Vancouver, Washington, arrested, but ultimately did not charge, a driver who witnesses claim tried to run over antifascist demonstrators with his truck on Sunday, KGW Portland reports.

The incident came less than a month after the auto attack that killed Heather Heyer in Charlottesville, Virginia, after an alt-right rally which she had protested against.

As the counter-protesters marched through downtown Vancouver, a Chevrolet pick-up truck with two large American flags and a Confederate flag decal drove up towards them.

By 1:30 p.m., officers in riot gear were firing pepper spray at demonstrators, making arrests and telling the crowd to clear the area. The truck was nearly immediately stopped by police.

Counter-protesters changed their march's path and proceeded a street over to avoid the truck, but it re-appeared and cut marchers off. At least nine people were arrested throughout the day on charges that included interfering with a police officer and disorderly conduct.

Another anti-white nationalist protest in Portland

Vancouver Police said two people were arrested following the rally and counter-protest. Later, the same driver was apprehended by police. The Portland Police Bureau said the crowd became "violent and criminal", with anti-fascist protesters throwing smoke devices and other projectiles at officers in a waterfront park.

Later, a white truck with four occupants matching the eyewitness description was seen being protected by police until it was able to attempt a safe exit.

Group leader Joey Gibson said supporters at the Vancouver rally will be bringing in donations to help families affected by the Eagle Creek Fire in the Columbia River Gorge.

In the days leading up to the rallies, police were preparing for violence among the demonstrators.

The protest events and march were held in Terry Schrunk Plaza, Waterfront Park and roadways in the downtown area over the course of several hours.

The rally concluded with a group prayer. The city's mayor, Ted Wheeler, had said in a statement in the run-up to the protests that he would not tolerate acts of violence from either side.



Other news