Police kill man who could be Barcelona attack fugitive

The aftermath of the lethal explosion in the village of Alcanar Catalonia

The mother of Younes Abouyaaqoub, the man suspected of mowing down pedestrians in a van attack in Barcelona's Las Ramblas tourist hotspot, killing 14 people and injuring 120, has called on her son to surrender to police.

On Monday, police released photos of Abouyaaqoub, who is thought to have plowed the van into crowds in Barcelona last Thursday.

Also on Thursday, police fire at a auto that failed to stop at a roadblock in Barcelona.

Four are under arrest: Driss Oukabir, who turned himself in to the police saying he was innocent, Mohamed Aallaa, owner of the auto used in Cambrils, Salah el Karib, manager of an internet cafe in Ripoll, and Mohamed Houli Chemlal, injured in the Alcanar blast.

He had been the only at-large member of the 12-strong terror cell behind the attacks in Barcelona on Thursday and in the seaside town of Cambrils early on Friday.

One is believed to be on the run: Younes Abouyaaqoub. People from more than 30 countries are now believed to make up the 130 victims who were wounded in the attacks in Las Ramblas and in Cambrils.

Spanish authorities named Abouyaaqoub as the suspected driver early Monday morning, saying they had "scientific evidence" that the 22-year-old Moroccan national was behind the wheel, reports the Associated Press.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for both attacks.

He also said 12 terror suspects linked to the Barcelona attack did not have previous records or intelligence files related to terrorism.

Perez's body was found in the vehicle after Abouyaaqoub managed again to elude officers, police said.

Catalan authorities said they have identified some of the victims of the attack in Barcelona as Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Spanish-Argentine and American. Human remains were found in the rubble left by the blast, which police believe may have been caused by mishandling butane canisters that were meant to be used in an attack.

The Catalan police force responded Monday after several citizens in the town of Subirats reported a suspicious individual who fit the description of Abouyaaqoub, according to Catalan radio Cadena Ser.

He was cornered in Subirats, about 30 miles west of Barcelona, on Monday.

Police already have four people in custody they believe are connected to the attacks. An explosion last Wednesday at a house in the more southerly town of Alcanar is believed to have destroyed materials the killers planned to use in larger-scale operations.

Related:

Comments


Other news