One Canadian killed, 4 injured in Barcelona attack

Police respond at an incident in Barcelona. Jordi Sans

Police believe the two attacks were connected, and they said that all five men who plowed their Audi across the corniche in Cambrils had been shot dead.

Catalonia's regional police identified them as Moussa Oukabir, 17, Said Aallaa, 18, and Mohamed Hychami, 24.

Officers have found "the remains of two different people, we are working to prove that they are two of these three people who have been identified", said Trapero.

Thursday's attacked occurred when a Fiat van was driven down the pedestrianised Las Ramblas area on Thursday afternoon, killing 13 and injured scores more people.

Authorities believe the two attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils are directly linked to Wednesday night's explosion in Alcanar where police discovered at least 20 gas containers.

One of the seven victims injured in the attack also later died Friday, Catalan security officials said, adding that one of the injured was a police officer. The dead and injured came from 34 countries.

"The Alcanar blast triggered the attacks.It's not what they had in mind initially", Trapero said.

The identity of the person killed was not immediately released, nor were any details about those who were injured or their current condition.

Trapero said investigators believe those who acted were survivors from a gang that had been planning for weeks to carry out a bombing attack - but that they made a decision to use a van after their components blew up.

Canadians in Spain who require emergency consular assistance can contact the Consulate of Canada in Barcelona at +34 93 270 3614 or, call the government's 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre at +1 613 996 8885, or email sos@international.gc.ca. "He was desperately loved by us all and will be dearly missed", she added.

Argentina's foreign ministry said a 40-year-old woman, Silvina Alejandra Pereyra, who had dual Spanish-Argentinian citizenship was among the dead.

The Mediterranean resort of Nice in France was particularly hard hit on July 14, 2016, when a man rammed a truck into a crowd, killing 86 people. We were crammed in, it was very frightening, lots of people crying, lots of people very upset. A suspect of a Moroccan origin was arrested following the attack, according to Spanish police.

"The driver of the vehicle in Cambrils, they say, is connected to that explosion", Frank reports, citing police.

The attackers' original intention was probably to conduct a large truck bombing in Barcelona.

Authorities carried out controlled detonations of what they thought were explosive belts worn by the men, but turned out to be well-made fakes.

In March 2004, it was hit by what is still Europe´s deadliest, when bombs on commuter trains in Madrid killed 191 people in an attack claimed by Al Qaeda-inspired extremists. "ISIS says it seeks to take over Europe, and Rome holds particular significance as the seat of the papacy".

Four Cubans were injured in Barcelona, and another lightly hurt in the second attack in the resort town of Cambrils, according to the official Cubadebate website.

A police document reveals the young faces of those believed to be behind these attacks and on the run.

What followed were several terror-filled minutes just before 5pm local time (11pm Singapore time) for those caught in the path of the rampaging vehicle.

Related:

Comments


Other news