Mass Held For Spanish Terror Attack Victims In Barcelona

Spain's King Felipe and Queen Letizia and other dignitaries attend a solemn Mass at Barcelona's Sagrada Familia Basilica on Sunday for the victims of the terror attacks that killed 14 people and wounded over 120 in Barcelona Spain

Spain's King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia attended the mass, along with Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to mourn the 14 people killed in the twin terror attacks.

After ISIS-backed terrorists attacked in #La Rambla in #Barcelona and in Cambrils, killing 14 and injuring more than 100 people, with 12 still in a critical condition, police believe they had much more ambitious plans for the area.

Spanish police are still hunting the driver of the van that killed 13 at Barcelona's Las Ramblas.

Authorities in Europe are searching for Younes Abouyaaquoub, 22.

.

The so-called "Islamic State" (IS) has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack and a second attack in Cambrils where five men wearing fake suicide belts drove an Audi A3 into crowds on the seafront.

The service came as the hunt for the main attack's suspected van driver continued as police said they had linked three rental vans to the fugitive.

Investigators have been homing in on the small town of Ripoll, at the foot of the Pyrenees, where numerous suspects - including Abouyaaqoub - lived.

Juan Ignacio Zoido, Spain's Minister of the Interior, has stated the jihadist cell has now been "dismantled".

A top Spanish police official said the cell of 12 people "had planned one or more attacks with explosives" in Barcelona and had also used a vehicle and motorcycle in the attack planning. Spanish police set up 800 roadblocks across the country hoping to snag members of the terrorist cell.

"Es Satty's apartment mate told NPR this morning that the imam cleaned out his bedroom here last Tuesday", a day before the house explosion, Langfitt reports for Weekend Edition Sunday.

Catalan authorities have already revealed that the terrorist network planned a much bigger atrocity than the ones which unfolded in Barcelona and Cambrils Thursday and Friday.

Police said none of them were previously known to the security services for terror-related reasons. The royal couple is expected to visit the place of the attack on Barcelona's central La Rambla pedestrian mall later on Saturday.

On Friday it emerged that one of the men, Moussa Oukabir, is thought to have rented the van used in the Barcelona attack.

"We don't have any specific information on this but it can not be ruled out", he said, adding that border checks had been reinforced immediately after the attacks. However the explosion, which killed two and injured several more people, turned out to be something else entirely.

Related:

Comments


Other news