Malegaon blast case: SC grants bail to Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit

2008 Malegaon blast case After 9 years in jail Colonel Purohit granted bail by Supreme Court

Randeep Singh Surjewala, the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in-charge of communications department, said Purohit getting bail was neither a reflection of his guilt nor innocence as he was facing a trial. "He may now be further rewarded for a suitable post retirement position (sic)", he said, in another tweet.

Purohit had on August 17 told the apex court that he had been caught in the "political crossfire" and languishing in jail for nine years.

Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde, who served as Home Minister during the UPA government said, "It was a professional job done by the police".

He has been granted bail with condition that he won't leave the country without prior permission from the court and that his passport must be deposited to the court.

The NIA, Salve claimed, had filed a new chargesheet in the case which contradicts the agency's claims made in its earlier chargesheets.

With regard to a plea seeking the cancellation of bail of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a co-accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, the Court posted the matter for hearing on October 10. "I think the SC must have been impasse by such types of discrepancy and therefore the bail has been granted", he added.

The investigating agencies had earlier attributed the blast to right-wing group Abhinav Bharat.

Nisar Ahmed Haji Sayed Bilal, father of one of the blast victims, had challenged the Bombay HC order granting bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur alleging that she was a "powerful person" and could influence the witnesses in the case. However Purohit, who is likely to return to the unit from where he was arrested, will remain suspended from service.

An officer is placed under open arrest when court martial proceedings are initiated against him. "During open arrest, an officer has to wear his uniform though he may be permitted to wear civilian clothes". Lt. Col. Purohit later approached the Armed Forces Tribunal which granted 75% salary.

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi on Monday accused the Modi government of "going soft" on terror cases after the Supreme Court granted bail to former Lt. Col. Prasad Shrikant Purohit, the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts. Four people were killed in this attack while 79 were injured.

According to the Indian Express, while granting Purohit conditional bail - a decision that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) opposed in the last hearing on grounds that there was substantial evidence against him - the Supreme Court said, "We set aside order of Bombay high court".

Related:

Comments


Other news